Welcome everyone on this, our last meeting for 2015. A lot has happened since we last meet and as we will not be having Sub Committee reports tonight as we want more time to ‘Mingle” I will mention briefly some items of interest.
- Wayne and I attended the first meeting of the ACT Waste Feasibility Study on 16 November. This study will provide options to government on how to handle all waste generated or processed within the ACT over the next 10-50 years. The objective is to maximise recycling and reusing while minimising landfilling.
- Bev and I attended a forum on the drug ICE Forum organised by Senator Seselja on 18 November at the Woden Southern Cross Club. It was quite confronting to hear how easily people can be addicted to this drug and how violent if makes them.
- On November the 21, two major events happened
- Opening of Tuggeranong Leisure centre, including the new water park
- The Tuggeranong Festival – Wayne, Lorraine, Bev and Max manned the TCC stall at the Tuggeranong Festival all day, with Paul and I assisting and we were all pleased as local politicians all visited our stand. You can see on the screen pictures of TCC members with politicians from all parties. We understand that numbers were up by over 2,000 this year thanks to the hard work of Stewart Thompson and his committee. Congratulations to Stewart for all his hard work in building up this festival.
- Paul and I helped organise erosion/revegetation activity on Saturday 14 and 28 November at the Wanniassa inlet into Lake Tuggeranong. We were joined by other members of the TLC Bill Perry, Leslie McGrane and some volunteers including Nicole Lawder. Paul arranged for soil and mulch to be donated by Stonehenge, who we give thanks to.
- The TCC will be hosting the Combined Community Council Meeting (CCC) this Saturday 5 December. Topics to be discussed include: Reduction in role of NCA and a Community Consultation Summit.
- As a member of the Project Advisory Group of the Basin Plan I have been asked to attend a review meeting on 10 December about the process.
- Adrian, who has been heading with our Activities sun committee has now been transferred to Vienna as part of his job. If anyone is interested in taking his place. Please let me know.
- We also welcome any one interested in joining any of our subcommittees to let us know and sign up at the back table
- We are looking at deciding on suitable guest speaks for the coming year. Suggestions so far have included people talking about the National Broadband Network(NBN), Council of the Ageing (COTA) telling us about their organisation and at having students from Lake Tuggeranong talking to us at the April meeting . If you have any other ideas please let us know.
Meanwhile thank you all for all your support this year especially Sgt. Jo Cameron, who has given us the police update and local members who give up their time to listen to our concerns and. Good luck in you new job Jo. The TCC Executive wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy new year and would like to see you back for our first meeting next year on Tuesday 2 February.
Tuggeranong Community Council